Just the word makes me excited. I feel like I'm about to put on a show. Which I am, in a sense. An audition is the key to either making or breaking your career.
While I have never auditioned for a part in a movie, I have done a couple for smaller things. In my third semester of drama classes, all of the students auditioned for roles in the play that we were performing. My friend and I were extremely nervous and we were praying for the Rapture to happen before we had to audition. It being our first audition, our teacher went easy on us and we just read the parts from the script. I got the part that I wanted, which was the role of the Witch. I also auditioned for the part of the Magic Mirror. I messed up while auditioning. (I didn't mess up on purpose; I stumbled over the words).
For my second audition, we had to audition to get into the Teen Advanced class. (I love being part of a class where you have to audition to get in). Both Qui and I successfully made it. We had to perform a scene between Lucy and Linus. I think it was Linus........... I did better on that one.
Now, I have a chance to audition to be in a full scale production--it's the winter All-Star Camp! Auditions are December 11th. We'll be putting on The Secret Garden in March. Well, they will. I might, considering if I get a part or not. My teacher's encouraging me to audition.
My advice for all those auditioning?
1. Know your lines. Pretty self-explanatory.
2. Know your character. Have a "moment before" planned out and fixed firmly in your head. What was your character doing right before the monologue? What is he/she like?
3. Be confident. There will always be actors better than you. The sooner you realize it, the better off you'll be. Get to know who these actors are and start watching them and learning from what they do.
4. Get plenty of sleep. It won't do well for you to be yawning in front of the auditioners.
5. Don't be nervous. Everyone has messed up at some point in their career, even the auditioners.
6. Have fun! One of the best parts of acting is getting to be someone else. Revel in that and have fun being someone completely different than the real you.